Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Having connection problems with SQL Server 2005 Express

This is a bit of a cross-post from the VS 2005 Forum, but we don't have a forum dedicated to SQL Server 2005...
This is on my test machine running Windows XP Pro SP2 (NTFS),
I have an existing SQL 2000 database located on a separate hard drive dedicated to data -- the e:\ drive.
I just installed SQL Server 2005 Express, in the default installation directory (c:\Program Files\Microsoft SQL Server) and I cannot connect to that database on the e:\ drive. Named pipes, error: 40 (Remote access services are not installed by default).
I don't want the database physically located on the c:\ drive.
I've been looking all over for the solution for this, and can't find it.
Advice or direction to reference materials would be appreciated.
TinkerWell, this was REALLY hard to solve - unneccessarily hard, I'm thinking - but I have (finally) solved it.
- Tinker|||Is is too much to ask what was the solution?
I dont understand people who post like "i found the solution, bye".

|||I don't know if I made a mistake in the initial software installation that caused this problem, the question hadn't garnered many views or much interest, and received no replies, but nonetheless: I'm sorry!
What worked for me was to uninstall SQL Server and when I reinstalled it, I chose the option to NOT install any of the sample databases that are included with the package. By not installing the samples the SQL Server Managment utility then allowed me to ATTACH to existing databases on a separate data drive. With the samples installed, I could not get ATTACH to work with my remote database.
And I didn't install the samples the second time around because I couldn't see any option to mount the samples on the same hard drive as my existing databases; they are installed in the SQL Server program folder by default. So the second time around, I chose to not install them and see if that made a difference -- and that seemed to have solved the problem I had getting ATTACH to work.
But let me empahsize that I don't know if I made a mistake during the original software install that prevented ATTACHING to my databases on a separate hard drive, and I haven't received a reply from Microsoft, yet, about whether I made a mistake.
And I don't know if dropping/deleting the sample databases would have been just as effective and much faster. I didn't try it. I had fiddled around so much trying to get ATTACH to work that I didn't trust the condition of the Server, and just started over with fresh installs. But knowing what I know now, I would have tried droppng the samples and seeing if that allowed me to ATTACH to a database on a different hard drive.
Hope this helps. When I hear back from MS, I'll let you know what they said, and whether the probelm was an undocumented feature, or my brain-fart,
Tinker|||Okay, sorry about that "angry mood" in my previous post but i was losing my mind with sql connection.
Resolved it by using right host/instance name :-)
cheer's
bassock

No comments:

Post a Comment