Wednesday, March 28, 2012

Having fun with moint points

To keep the number of driveletters to a minimum, have
the same directory structure on the instances and do
something with disks and performance I tried this:
MSSQL$I1\Data
\Data1 <- mount point
\Tlog
\Backup
\Backup1 <- mount point
MSSQL$I2\Data
\Data1 <- mount point
\Tlog
\Backup
\Backup1
MSSQL$I3\Data
\Data1
\Tlog
\Backup
\Backup1
And ran into the SQL Setup does not support mount points
bug or feature. So I added driveletter to the mounted disk.
I am still thinking off using the mount points next to the drive
letters. Are the any other issues or disadvantages I should be
aware off?
Hans
Hi
Have you looked at http://support.microsoft.com/kb/819546/en-us "SQL Server
2000 support for mounted volumes"?
On non-clustered systems, the base drive needs a drive letter.
Regards
Mike
"Hans de Bruin" wrote:

> To keep the number of driveletters to a minimum, have
> the same directory structure on the instances and do
> something with disks and performance I tried this:
> MSSQL$I1\Data
> \Data1 <- mount point
> \Tlog
> \Backup
> \Backup1 <- mount point
> MSSQL$I2\Data
> \Data1 <- mount point
> \Tlog
> \Backup
> \Backup1
> MSSQL$I3\Data
> \Data1
> \Tlog
> \Backup
> \Backup1
> And ran into the SQL Setup does not support mount points
> bug or feature. So I added driveletter to the mounted disk.
> I am still thinking off using the mount points next to the drive
> letters. Are the any other issues or disadvantages I should be
> aware off?
> --
> Hans
>

No comments:

Post a Comment